Tuesday, September 21, 2010

How do we define the unemployed and underemployed?

In future posts I would like to explore what it means (in our community, however we define that) to be unemployed and underemployed. What I plan to get at here is three things: the difference between unemployment and underemployment, how we define what it is to be unemployed and how we recognize the state of underemployment.

My posts to date have mostly been advice to the unemployed, but I think that this exploration is very relevant to those still in job search. How we see ourselves and therefore position ourselves to others is based, in part, on the taxonomy we use to articulate our worth. Our worth, or at least the worth we determine ourselves to have and the worth others put on our skills, experiences and talents, is in direct relationship to matching what we have with what an employer needs. More importantly it's how we are able to be selected and ourselves select a suitable job match.

Further to this idea I would like to take some time to examine the values and beliefs that have and do define what it is to be unemployed and underemployed in our community. My scope here is going to be on the U.S. The question that I would like to tackle is this: How has the most recent economic downturn together with the disguised talent shortage and the retiring baby-boomer population, shifted how the unemployed and underemployed is viewed and treated in our community?

This is kind of a set-up post, but I hope to engage some of my followers in the discussion so it's also a "call to action"! In the words of the recently unemployed or maybe underemployed Jerry Maguire, "Who's coming with me?" (1996) http://bit.ly/cqUFrP

People want to help you, but you have to tell them how! Like the Yellow Brick Road, job search is scary, uncertain and long, but there are people along the way who can help!

You can do this!



1 comment:

  1. Tracy, love what you are doing with the new blog. And the design is really cool, too.

    To answer your question, I've been shocked to see many employers fall back into the worst possible sorts of behaviors and discrimination against those who are unemployed or underemployed. I hear statements from hiring managers wondering aloud why someone has been out of work if they were any good. Really?! I have to ask where they have been.

    I had truly hoped that so many HR people being affected by the downturn would inject some sobriety or at least some empathy into discussions of job candidates who are between jobs. Instead, I am seeing this same pernicious and mean-spirited exclusionary reaction that prevents companies from hiring smart, talented people.

    It makes me wonder just how bad it has got to get in order to have companies wake up.

    By the way, I have added your blog link to my own at http://talentline411.com

    ReplyDelete